end of term, off to chile and peru

My first term at ISEDET has ended. To finish, I took a four day intensive course on feminist theological anthropology - thinking about how the church has understood human beings, and particularly women. And how we might want to challenge some of those views today. We talked a lot about boarder lands and crossing frontiers, both physical and in terms of our identity. During the course, we watched a documentary on Central American people trying to cross the boarder into the USA. The documentary is called "Wetbacks" and you can watch a clip here
The documentary focuses on the journey of Nicaraguans and others but there are also some revealing interviews from US vigilantes which reminded me of the response of some of those interviewed in the Channel Four 2004 documentary about Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire. Here's a link to the Neighbour Lee group that was formed to encourage residents to become more welcoming of new arrivals. http://www.neighbourlee.org.uk/

Tomorrow I leave for Chile and Peru for just over two weeks. I'll be visiting the Conspirando collective in Santiago that is a centre for ecofeminist theology and spirituality. Then I am heading up the coast by bus to Lima, where I am hoping to see some friends from when I lived there ten years ago. After that it is into the Amazon to stay with another friend from those days for a week. I may post a few entries while I'm away, otherwise it will be on my return. More then.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Enjoy your break. (Your regular mailbox is full...) David

most viewed